Temple Illuminatus

a real spiderweb collected and mounted by emil ‘rocky’ fiore

new jersey-based spider artist emil ‘rocky’ fiore flexes his unusual skill in capturing intact spiderwebs to make art – and he has sent designboom some of his latest catches. usually, spiderwebs only last a couple of hours as the spiders themselves eat it, but fiore – who originally worked with stained glass – decided to immortalize the gossamer pieces behind beveled glass as a way to preserve the beautiful specimens. in order to have the lacy networks stand out, he sprays them with an aluminum silver paint to mimic dew. fiore has caught more than a dozen species from all over america, each web able to reveal the type of insect by given you’re a top spider aficionado.

fiore says of the work:

‘my concept is simply to catch the web. to preserve its beauty. and unlike photographs, my method isolates the web and displays the structure and design free of any distracting background. of course each and every one is a real spiders web and they are as varied as snowflakes or fingerprints, yet they are highly stylized and recognizable by species to a trained eye‘.

usually, spiderwebs only last a couple of hours as the spiders themselves eat it

in order to have the lacy networks stand out, he sprays them with an aluminum silver paint to mimic dew

fiore has caught more than a dozen species from all over america

‘of course each and every one is a real spiders web and they are as varied as snowflakes or fingerprints, yet they are highly stylized and recognizable by species to a trained eye‘

Views: 15

Replies to This Discussion

Absolutely love this. I would love to see how he gathers the webs without tearing them apart. Thank you for sharing this. :)

maybe i should look that up.

RSS

Have questions?

Need help? Visit our Support Group for help from our friendly Admins and members!

Have you?

Become a Member
Invited Your Friends
Made new Friends
Read/ Written a Blog
Joined/ Created a Group
Read/ Posted a Discussion
Checked out the Chat
Looked at/Posted Videos
Made a donation this month
Followed us on Twitter
Followed us on Facebook